Avenue K

I love Shattuck Avenue. It was the main strip that brought me up to my home - up Cedar, left onto La Verada, right on to Upper Hilgard - and, alas, home - a stunning view and, in retrospect, especially - pure magic.

So -it seems every time I meet up with Karen who lives not too far from Shattuck, I want to meet her on my avenue - or, now, since it's where we always meet up - I'll call it:

Avenue K.

I met Karen in Berkeley - there she was walking across a room with a black tee shirt that said Avenue D. --



There are many transplanted New Yorkers in Berkeley, but Karen stood out, not just with the shirt, but with her spirit and her laugh and her down to earth-ness. I was telling her how easy it is to hang with her... zero pretension or image managing necessary.

So we hung out along the avenue at Philz Coffee -individually made delish coffee -and so community focused they let the regulars hang their coffee cups on the wall for their daily Philz return.


We hung at Guerilla too with their Berkeley funk - or as they put it on their sign "art, coffee, vibes."

Karen gave me a very Susan gift for my birthday - - here's the show & tell of it - a card that says it all too filled with a jolt of spiritual truth.