Golden years

So, for me - it's all about community - and I value and cherish and build them for myself. When I live in Berkeley years ago, I was fortunate to find a sweet, humble contemplative community called Hesed. I went weekly for many a year and even got to represent the community at a quiet meditation retreat in Australia. So blessed --- and I'm reminded of what meditated on during that retreat - our "interior life."


Hesed as a "urban benedictan community."
It was such a rich and quiet experience during times of conflict - it calmed me.

During times of racing around, it slowed me down.

One of the main reasons Hesed is so sacred is a woman named Barbara Hazzard. She was the director of Hesed for 31 years and warmed up the sweet home in the hills of Oakland with her smile, her consistency and her calm. Well - I usually visit Hesed when I visit the Bay Area and in ringing them up to see what might be going on for Easter I come to find out that Sister Barbara has retired.

Blow me over.

I heard dribbles of such a thing - but it's true. The beauty of synchronicity is such that when I rang her new number she was there in a brand new apartment with an hour to spare before venturing out with friends (note that Sister Barbara - now 75 years of age) - never lived in her very own pad.

No one is as grounded as this woman - and she has seen me grow up spiritually on many levels.. and happy to say.. still growing.

We sat together and shared our stories as if time never passed us by. It made me think of the peace that lies ahead in my retired years -- because I made a decision today that I'm no longer going to dread and fear the days that I have convinced myself of some of the "what ifs" - I am alone and no one will care for me drama....

Enough of that. There is just as much of a chance that the years ahead, way ahead - will, in fact, be truly GOLDEN.