Silence of Berkeley


It's so quiet, and I love waking up to this silence.

Berkeley has a silence to it. A scent too that I only wish I could cut & paste right here:


But I can't, and that's too bad. The flora, the aura - the beauty of Berkeley.

Late last night when I drove into Rose's driveway and opened the car door, this big beautiful bouquet of scent from the luscious flora in her front yard hit me - and I felt that familiar feeling and sense of calm that Berkeley brought me for the eight years I lived in this town. Even though I had just been on a plane for 6 hours and in travel mode for about 9.

I flashed to the bright afternoon when Rose lent me her front yard for the yard sale to sell my wares when I was planning my move back to New York. It made me think of the transitional excitement of a move and the chaos too. Such chaos - the kind that has a thrill attached. The memory make me feel enormously grateful I gifted myself with the Berkeley experience, the town, the school, the people I still have to remind myself it existed. This 8 year stint that added so much depth to who I am and what I value.

My body remembers, my senses remember and that's why it's so familiar and so damn special here.